Out Traveler Awards: Time to Vote
By OUTTraveler Editors
Best Adventure Getaway
Which place offers the least complacent vacation?
For such a tiny country, Belize has an amazing variety of climates and natural habitats that support a wild variety of animals. Eco-tourism remains a major industry there, with everything from hiking to helicopter tours.
Known as a green paradise, Costa Rica, like nearby Belize, is a nature-lover's paradise. With volcanos, bird-watching, snorkeling, and zip-lining at your feet, there's no way a Costa Rican vacation can be passive.
Whether your idea of adventure is bungee jumping or sampling new wine, New Zealand is an explorer's paradise. N.Z. is all about nature's wonders, but with creature comforts always near by.
A bit closer than Belize and Costa Rica is Mexico's Mayan Riviera, with plenty of opportunities for the adventure-seeker. How about underground rafting in a water cave or exploring the region's numerous cenotes or sinkholes?
Swimming and snorkeling aren't the only ways to get your kicks: how about racing down the side of a mountain as the wind whips your face? The best place to do that may be Telluride, Colo., where there is skiing, snowboarding, dog sledding, and ice climbing.
- Sydney Mardi Gras: A Gay Post-Mortem
- Out Traveler Award Winner: Small Hotel or Resort
- A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking
- Gay Destinations - Best Gay-Friendly Cities & Vacation Spots
- General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week
- Gay Los Angeles: Entertainment, Shopping, Beaches, and Bars