Out Traveler Award Winner: Best City After Dark
By OUTTraveler Editors
Best City After Dark: NEW YORK
Runner-up: Las Vegas
In what could best be described as a rout, New York beat out Las Vegas (a distant second place), Amsterdam, Berlin, New Orleans, and Tel Aviv to be named the most thrilling city when the sun goes down. This city of night owls comes alive after dark; New Yorkers can hold their liquor until at least 4 a.m., when most bars and clubs close. Old standards like Eastern Bloc, The Cock, and XL Nightclub rarely disappoint, but there's also the one-off parties and whispered-about fetes that attract the fashionable crowd (SNL's Stefon character is just a slight exaggeration on the available wackiness of a New York night). You may not be able to catch a cab at 4:37 a.m., but you can guarantee you won't be the only person on the street.
Click here for the full list of Out Traveler Awards categories and nominees.
- PHOTOS: Men With Their Legs Spread on Public Transit
- What City is Doubling Down on Transgender Tourism?
- Sex-Positive Radical Faerie House in S.F. Imperiled
- Travel Companies With Perfect Scores on HRC's Equality List
- Fifth Atlantic City Casino Closes as Trump Taj Mahal Bites Dust
- Toronto Club that Played Queer as Folk's Babylon Is Closing