Out Traveler Award Winner: Ultimate Honeymoon Destination
By OUTTraveler Editors
Ultimate Gay Honeymoon Destination: HAWAII
Runner-up: Mykonos (Greece)
Hawaii is for lovers, according to readers. The 50th state was voted the Ultimate Gay Honeymoon Destination, beating out London, Greek island Mykonos, Brazil's Ponto dos Ganchos, San Francisco, and Sydney. You can now marry and honeymoon in the same place, now that the Aloha State legalized marriage equality. Couples can stay in diverse, cosmopolitan Honolulu with Queen's Beach, the appropriately-named gay beach where you can feel comfortable leaning in for a kiss. If you want more quiet, head to Maui, Kauai, or the Big Island (Lanai and Molokai are even quieter), where beaches are scenic and serene. Long drives, like Maui's Road to Hana, mean lots of time for conversation, contemplation, and opportunities for pulling over (especially near a waterfall). Waking up early, eating breakfast on a lanai, and jumping in the ocean is the best way we can think of to start a new life with someone.
Click here for the full list of Out Traveler Awards categories and nominees.
- Gay Destinations - Best Gay-Friendly Cities & Vacation Spots
- An Introduction to Gay Mexico City
- Gay Palm Springs: Dining, Resort Guide, Bars, and Clubs
- The 10 Places LGBT Travelers Should Never Visit
- Naked Ibiza: Dylan Rosser's Photos Urge Us to Cancel Thanksgiving
- Five Gayest Things to do in St. Maarten