Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket
By Neal Broverman
Windy City Gay Idol, the search for the best amateur LGBT singer in Chicago, is a rollicking good time, with boozy audiences, a mix of terrific and terrible singers, and tens of thousands of dollars handed out in prizes.
The competition plays out in Chi-town bars throughout the spring, culminating with the final two contestants battling it out in June. The first idol match-up happens April 6 at The Sofo Tap, with as many as 20 participants singing; two winners from each bar will take home a cash prize and advance to the semi-finals. Local celebrity judges, including DJs, actors, and casting agents, will judge the performers. The winner is crowned June 25, smack dab in the middle of the 45th annual Chicago Pride celebration.
The 2014 Gay Idol takes home $1,000 in cash, Smirnoff merchandise, a trip for two to Curacao, and tickets to concerts and theater. Past winners have appeared on American Idol and sang at Wrigley Field, Soldier Field, and the popular Market Days celebration. Lady Gaga even performed at one of the Gay Idol sing-offs. Read more here.
Watch a clip of singer Timmy Willy trying to sing over the raucous Gay Idol crowd:
- VIDEO: West Hollywood Employs Hot Guys, Humor to Keep Pedestrians Safe
- The 30 Hottest Guys from New York Comic Con
- WATCH: A Fever Dream Video From WeHo's Big Gay Bar
- PHOTOS: Behind the Scenes of Looking Season 2
- The Newest LGBT Cruise Sets Sail With Transgender Travelers Taking Center Stage
- Get Ready for One of the Biggest Gay Cruises Ever