Caribbean Island Throwing First Ever Pride Celebration
By Neal Broverman
While many Caribbean islands carry on homophobic policies and present unwelcoming atmospheres for gay travelers, the Dutch island of Curacao celebrates its first LGBT Pride event this week.
The event takes place Wednesday through Sunday and encompasses a street dance in Curacao's capital of Willemsted, parties, a movie marathon, and a conference on women and sexual diversity in the Caribbean.
The island, located just north of the Venezuelan coast, is working to promote itself as a destination to LGBT travelers. Many hotels on the island are embracing the Pride celebration as well, by offering deals to revelers. Read more about Curacao Pride here, and click here for general travel info on the island.
- A Definitive Gay Guide to Puerto Vallarta
- Queens-ing Out: Exploring NYC's Royal Borough
- Top 20 Gayest Destinations in the USA
- Gay Destinations - Best Gay-Friendly Cities & Vacation Spots
- Gay Flight Attendant Talks Celebrities, Culture Shock, Upgrades
- Upcoming Exhibition Celebrates the Homoerotic Work of George Quaintance