10 Hikes And Sights Outside Las Vegas
By Andrew Belonsky
The Iconic Mojave DesertDeserts, the saying goes, have secrets, and none are more tight lipped than California's nearbyMojave Desert, located 2 hours outside of town, right in the middle of the drive to Los Angeles.
Naturally as iconic as the Hoover Dam, though far more impressive in its expansiveness and cultural impact, the blazing red Mojave is more than just an overheated desert stretch.
Mitchell Caverns let you get deep inside these ancient rock formations, while Hole-in-the-Wall Canyon (pictured) lets you take a wider view of the majesty. The ghost town of Kelso stands as a reminder of the bygone railroad days, and the similarly named dunes show what a little wind and millions of years can do to a landscape's face.
- Know What 'Hidden City' Booking Is? Orbitz Doesn't Want You To
- See How Gays Travel Over the Holidays In One Nifty Infographic
- Top Up-and-coming Destinations
- The 30 Hottest Guys from New York Comic Con
- Different for Girls: Top 5 Lesbian Meccas
- Here's Why Vegas Is the Best City to Spend the Holidays In