36 Couples Exchange Vows at Las Vegas Pop-Up Wedding Chapel
By OUTTraveler Editors
Although marriage (and divorce) is big business in Nevada, marriage equality has yet to hit the Silver State. But that didn’t stop The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas last week, when the hotel hosted a Pop-Up Wedding Chapel as part of a fundraiser for The Gay & Lesbian Community Center of Southern Nevada.
Thirty-six LGBTQ and straight-ally couples had commitment or vow-renewal ceremonies as part of the event, which also included the presentation of a $50,000 donation to the center from the Cosmopolitan.
Although the vows are not legally binding, this pop-up chapel wasn’t just about pie-in-the-sky hope, the state senate recently passed a bill to repeal a constitutional amendment barring marriage equality.
(Photo: Shantile Flores, left, and Nancy Munoz exchange vows)
- PHOTOS: What Do You Wear to a Cuban Beach Party?
- A Definitive Gay Guide to Las Vegas
- An American Gay in Uganda: Visiting Earth's Most Homophobic Place
- Gay Antwerp - Fashion, History, Culture, City Guide & Itineraries
- VIDEO: A Gay, Half-Naked Takeover of a Barcelona Waterpark
- Young Men Allegedly Drugged, Assaulted at New Zealand Hostel