Why Madrid Should Get the 2020 Olympics
By Neal Broverman
LGBT-friendly Madrid is the only choice for the 2020 Olympics, according to the group Athlete Ally.
The organization, which promotes LGBT tolerance and inclusion in sports, wants Madrid chosen over Tokyo and Istanbul when the International Olympic Committee decides the next host city for the games.
"On September 7, the IOC will choose the host city for the 2020 Olympic Games," says Athlete Ally's website. "Of the three finalists, Tokyo, Madrid and Istanbul, Madrid shines above the rest for its LGBT inclusivity. And of the potential host countries, only Spain has full equality under the law. We urge the members of the IOC casting their votes to select the city that clearly demonstrates that LGBT rights are human rights. With 10,000 signatures to this petition we will deliver a strong message to the IOC members: persecution of the LGBT community and the Olympics can never again co-exist. Choose Madrid!"
Athlete Ally is not only encouraging the IOC to live by the values of its inclusive Olympic charter by choosing Madrid, it's encouraging folks sign a petition in support of the Spanish capital. Click here to show your love for Madrid. Read more about Madrid here.
- WATCH: The Warwick Rowers, Full Length and Fully Revealed
- Scream Along for One Last Ride With Billy Hough in Provincetown
- Gay Provincetown - City Guide, Hotels, Gay Beaches & Hot Spots
- Too Late to Save the UK’s Oldest Gay Bar the Royal Vauxhall Tavern?
- Gay Florida Keys: Key West Guide, Beaches, Sea, and Nightlife
- Five of the Best Weekender Bags