Gloria Estefan, Kenny Ortega Named Grand Marshals of Miami Beach Pride
By Neal Broverman
Pop star Gloria Estefan will lead the parade down Ocean Drive for the Sixth Annual Miami Beach Pride Parade on April 13.
Estefan will serve as grand marshall, as will Kenny Ortega,the celebrated out choreographer who directed High School Musical, Michael Jackson's This Is It and performances by Madonna and Elton John.
Estefan and Ortega, both Latino role models and LGBT rights supporters, are great choices for grand marshals. Estefan has sold millions of records as a solo artist and with Miami Sound Machine. She'll ride in a Rolls Royce convertible down Ocean Drive, waving to the 80,000 people expected to flood Miami Beach for the Pride parade.
"There is nothing more Miami than Gloria. She is an intrinsic part of this city's cultural identity," Joel Stedman, Chairman of the Pride Board, said in a statement. "Not only is she one of the most beloved and successful symbols of the vibrant and diverse South Florida community, but also she has proven to be committed to several charitable initiatives as well as a champion for the LGBT community."
Click here for more info on Miami Beach Pride, which begins April 11.
- Know What 'Hidden City' Booking Is? Orbitz Doesn't Want You To
- Gay Flight Attendant Talks Celebrities, Culture Shock, Upgrades
- See How Gays Travel Over the Holidays In One Nifty Infographic
- PHOTOS: Men With Their Legs Spread on Public Transit
- The Chelsea: Inside NYC's Most Infamous Hotel
- PRIDE: Rio and Buenos Aires Go Wild