Phoenix: A Liberal Oasis in a Red Desert?
By Neal Broverman
Although Phoenix is the capital and largest city of Arizona, a very red state, it's a bastion of LGBT rights, according to the Human Rights Campaign, which recently gave it a perfect score on its latest municipal equality index (the MEI measures how well municipalities treat their LGBT citizens). The city will celebrate the milestone at a ceremony on Tuesday at City Hall with Mayor Greg Stanton, local community and business leaders, and HRC representatives.
Phoenix passed a sweeping anti-discrimination ordinance earlier this year that protected LGBT people in housing, employment, public accommodations and government contracts. The ordinance helped Phoenix become the most improved city to earn a perfect score on the HRC index this year. Phoenix is one of only eight cities to earn a perfect score without a supportive state anti-discrimination law in place.
Mayor Stanton and his wife are very LGBT supportive and have helped usher in a new welcoming environment in the city.
- Nation's Oldest LGBT Bookstore Rescued from Closing
- Gay Destinations - Best Gay-Friendly Cities & Vacation Spots
- Gay Europe - Cities, Tours & Top Gay European Destinations
- PHOTOS: The High Line, 15 Years After Two Gay Men Saved It
- PHOTOS: Barrowman Frenches Guy as Commonwealth Games Begin in Scotland