Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride
By Neal Broverman
Out legend Melissa Etheridge will perform at the opening ceremonies for WorldPride 2014, happening June 20 in Toronto.
Melissa will sing her anthem "Uprising of Love," a song she wrote for LGBT Russians suffering through state-sanctioned discrimination and abuse. The rocker will be up front and center at Nathan Philips Square in central Toronto to perform "Uprising," a song that benefits the group Russia Freedom Fund.
"The lyrics of 'Uprising of Love' came from such a personal and passionate spot in my soul and I'm more than excited to share this anthem with the world," Etheridge said in a statement. (Melissa is also performing the song at this week's South by Southwest festival in Austin, Tex.)
WorldPride happens June 20-29 and is expected to bring tens of thousands to Toronto. Disgraced Mayor Rob Ford will likely not be in attendance, sadly.
- The Three Big City Halloween Parties You Can't Miss
- VIDEO: West Hollywood Employs Hot Guys, Humor to Keep Pedestrians Safe
- VIDEO: While Many Dream of Visiting Jamaica, Gays Want to Leave
- WATCH: A Fever Dream Video From WeHo's Big Gay Bar
- Get Ready for One of the Biggest Gay Cruises Ever
- New Yorkers Are Angry With Taylor Swift's Big Apple PR Campaign