Hot Five: Auckland, New Zealand
By Dennis Hensley
This 5-star luxury B & B overlooking the Harbor Bridge is the most fabulous place I've ever stayed. The owners, Frances Wilson and Stephen Fitzgerald, have poured lots of TLC into every detail, creating a sumptuous, homey atmosphere that reflects their passions for antiques, opera and contemporary design. There was a baby grand piano in my room. Seriously. You know, in case Josh Groban happened to stop by. There was also a romantic fireplace that roared to life with just the flip of a light switch, again in case Josh Groban happened to stop by.
Though I was tempted to never leave Mollies, a short stroll took me to the eclectic shopping district of Ponsonby Road, where I dined at the Spanish-influenced Rocco, indulged in a raspberry bar at the Earlybird Bakery and Cafe, and had the tastiest chai latte of my life at Dorothy's Sister, a cozy neighborhood hangout that's as old-school camp-tastic as its name would lead you to believe.
Watch Dennis's YouTube video of Mollies here:
For more on New Zealand by Dennis Hensley -- A Gay Ski Week With a Kiwi Twist
- Midwestern Boys On Your Mind? Joey Contreras premieres the video for 'Ohio,'
- Best Gay Travel - Lists of the Hottest & Best in Gay Travel
- A Proustian Travel Guide: Restaurateur Mo Clancy on Her Favorite San Francisco Day
- Out Traveler Award Winner: Hottest Gay Beach
- Out Traveler Award Winner: Best City After Dark