Which U.S. City Has the Most Gay Couples?
By Neal Broverman
In a surprising upset, Seattle beat San Francisco as the American city with the highest percentage of gay male couples. In Seattle, 2.6% of all households are male couples, while 2.5% of San Francisco's households are male couples. The statistics come from recently-released numbers by the Census Bureau, which found a stark increase in reported gay male couples in Seattle, which reported only 1.7% in 2011.
Seattle also has the largest number of lesbian couples, with female couples comprising 1.2% of Emerald City households. Seattle is the only American city to have female couples comprising over 1% of households.
Seattle's same-sex couples are almost evenly split between male and female, though cities like Atlanta are heavily male, with 80% of same-sex couples being men. Lesbian couples dominate Wichita, Kan., with 88% of its same-sex couples being female. On the other end of the spectrum, El Paso, Tex. has the smallest percentage of same-sex couples among major American cities.
- PHOTOS: Southern Decadence Lets it All Hang Out in NOLA
- Third Person this Summer Hit by Car on WeHo's Santa Monica Blvd.
- Meet the Lucky Couple Getting Married By Seattle's Out Mayor
- How to Find Every Naked Hotel in Europe
- How to Pick Up a Guy in Five Languages
- VIDEO: A Gay, Half-Naked Takeover of a Barcelona Waterpark