Man Engulfed in Flames at WeHo Halloween Carnival, Dies
Some revelers at West Hollywood's annual Halloween carnival watched in horror, while others cheered, as a man was engulfed in flames and collapsed to the ground.
As people danced and drank, the 51-year-old man, Gilbert Estrada, suddenly caught fire. Some partygoers seemed to think it was a joke or a prank, while others ran to his aid and tried to douse him with water. Estrada fell to the ground and was later taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. He was pronounced dead on Friday.
Detectives believe Estrada accidentally set himself on fire when he lit a cigarette and ignited his burlap costume. A video of the tragedy is making its rounds on the internet.
The West Hollywood carnival takes place through Boystown, the L.A. area's gayborhood, but the festival attracts many non-LGBT participants. It's not clear if Estrada was LGBT. Read more here.