Man Engulfed in Flames at WeHo Halloween Carnival, Dies
By OUTTraveler Editors
Some revelers at West Hollywood's annual Halloween carnival watched in horror, while others cheered, as a man was engulfed in flames and collapsed to the ground.
As people danced and drank, the 51-year-old man, Gilbert Estrada, suddenly caught fire. Some partygoers seemed to think it was a joke or a prank, while others ran to his aid and tried to douse him with water. Estrada fell to the ground and was later taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. He was pronounced dead on Friday.
Detectives believe Estrada accidentally set himself on fire when he lit a cigarette and ignited his burlap costume. A video of the tragedy is making its rounds on the internet.
The West Hollywood carnival takes place through Boystown, the L.A. area's gayborhood, but the festival attracts many non-LGBT participants. It's not clear if Estrada was LGBT. Read more here.
- Hotels Still Making Things Awkward for Gay Couples
- PHOTOS: Barrowman Frenches Guy as Commonwealth Games Begin in Scotland
- PHOTOS: What Do You Wear to a Cuban Beach Party?
- Gay Flight Attendant Talks Celebrities, Culture Shock, Upgrades
- PHOTOS: Alex Minksy And Broadway Studs Bare All for AIDS/HIV Research