NYC Pride Kicks Off With Betty Who, Sharon Needles, Michelle Visage
By Lynn De La Cruz
Even though Lady Gaga appeared at last year's Rally, the official start of NYC Pride, this year's event should not disappoint.
The Rally, happening June 27 at Pier 26 in Lower Manhattan, will be hosted by RuPaul's Drag Race judge and former Seduction singer Michelle Visage. Hoping to encourage more youth participation, the Jersey native will introduce performances by Betty Who, an up-and-coming Australian musician now based in New York, and former Drag Race winner Sharon Needles.
The NYC Pride Rally stands as a tradition since the first event one month after the Stonewall Riots in June 1969, where 500 people gathered in Washington Square Park for a "Gay Power" demonstration. This year marks the 45th anniversary of Stonewall and the Rally is expected to pay special honor to the achievements of those who came before us. The theme of this year's Pride is "Yesterday's Struggle is Today's Heritage."
NYC Pride Week is June 21- 29.
- The Most Gay-friendly Places on the Planet
- WATCH: A Fever Dream Video From WeHo's Big Gay Bar
- 8 Things We Learned From This Undercover Report on Brunei's Gay Scene
- Fire Island's Cherry Grove Comm. House and Theater Added to Nat'l Register
- The Worst (Best?) Travel Agency Ad Ever
- THE Lesbian Guide to West Hollywood