PHOTOS: San Francisco Pride, Then and Now
By Christopher Harrity
A record number of people turned out for Pride in San Francisco this year. More than a million by some accounts. Plus, support for the event could not be more mainstream, if skewed a little to the Silicon Valley side: Apple, Google, Yahoo, Dropbox, Uber, Twitter, and official grand sponsor Airbnb all were major participants. These photos of the 2014 parade by Tommy Wu show that San Francisco retains its title as "The City That Knows How." Interspersed with Wu's images are pictures my gay dad, Bob Harrity, took in what I am guessing is 1978. A lot has changed since then, but the spirit of both 2014 and 1978 have a lot in common. Thanks Tommy Wu, and thanks to Dad who is in the big Pride Parade in the sky. — Christopher Harrity
Hello Mr. Petersen!
Taking a grape selfie.
Parents and chidren make the 1978 parade a family event.
- Out Traveler Awards: Best Hotels
- Toronto Club that Played Queer as Folk's Babylon Is Closing
- Out Traveler Awards 2014: Time to Vote!
- Gay Cruises - Reviews, Recommendations & Guides
- A Proustian Travel Guide: Event & Wedding Planner Mikie Russo Loves the Amalfi Coast
- The 10 Places LGBT Travelers Should Never Visit