How Bad are the Hotel Rooms in Sochi? Pretty Bad.
By Neal Broverman
If it wasn't for the state-sanctioned homophobia, maybe the International Olympic Committee should have considered the state of infrastructure and basic services in Russia before awarding the 2014 Winter Games to Sochi. Journalists and athletes arriving in the Black Sea resort city are tweeting about abysmal hotels, rooms, and services.
Complaints persisted this week about broken doorknobs, lack of heat, no running water, toilets that don't flush toilet paper, and hotels with lobbies that are unfinished or simply don't have lobbies. Maybe the funniest/scariest tweets came from Chicago Tribune reporter Stacy St. Clair.
My hotel has no water. If restored, the front desk says, "do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous." #Sochi2014
— Stacy St. Clair (@StacyStClair) February 4, 2014
Click here for more horror stories.
- Gay Brazilian Couple Strips Naked in Sao Paulo Street to Protest Homophobia
- Experience Provence, France, in the English-Language Movie Wasp
- Scream Along for One Last Ride With Billy Hough in Provincetown
- Where Will You Be for Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour?
- Perfect Day: Daniel Franzese’s Fort Lauderdale