UnREAL, the critically lauded Lifetime network dramedy about what goes on behind the scenes of a ruthless reality dating competition, returns to the airwaves tonight for its second season. Sure, we'll show up for the great storytelling, smart dialogue, and compelling characters, but it's Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman who plays one of the show's producers that has our eyeballs glued to the screen. The out Canadian model/actor, who you may also recognize from The L-Word and Noah's Ark, often travels between Los Angeles and New York, which he now calls home. What's unreal is that we were lucky enough to score some answers from Jeffrey for this installment of QUEST10NS:
1. Where did you go on your last trip? My last non-work-related trip was to O'ahu, Hawaii for my dear friend Janet Mock's wedding. It was an island paradise dream come true!!
2. What was your favorite memory from it? We spent the first few days staying in Laie up on the north shore, exploring the beaches and going trekking through the jungles to several different waterfalls, which was absolutely breathtaking. After the wedding, five of us (including the bride & groom) rented a house in Honolulu and spent a week soaking up the sun, eating pokè, and touring the city where Janet spent her formative years!! We jokingly called it "The Redefining Realness Tour" (the title of her New York Times bestselling memoir).
3. What has been your most Unreal travel experience to date? When I was 22 years old, I traveled to Ocho Rios, Jamaica for the first time for work. I was adopted as an infant, but my biological father is from Jamaica. I always knew that in the back of my mind, but upon arrival on the island, I connected to it on a very primal level much more so than I had anticipated. For the first time in my entire life I saw people who looked just like me. Not only the color of my skin, but the length of their limbs, the sinewy muscular structure, the beaming smiles. I not only felt it, but I knew I had found my way home. My ancestors were everywhere.
4. Where is your favorite place to hang out in New York...? My favorite refuge in New York City is just a few blocks from my home in Brooklyn...Prospect Park!! It's just as beautiful as Central Park, if not more so, and without the tourists!! The greenery and forest are a lush escape! On weekends, I'll walk the paths to the gorgeous Arc at Grand Army Plaza & hit up the Brooklyn Museum!!
5. ...Canada...? Bota Bota Spa!! Right in the heart of Old Montreal, Bota Bota is a spa that's located on a reconverted ferry floating on the St-Laurence River. It's rustic, yet modern, relaxing and invigorating. A must do for those looking to take a break from the city and take in the views all at once!
6. ...Los Angeles? The Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine in Pacific Palisades is one of the most magical spiritual hot spots in California. I tend to make a day of it and sit in the sprawling meditation gardens surrounded by the beauty of nature for hours, chanting, writing in my journal or meditating. Then I'll hop in my car and take a short drive up to Malibu to the white sand beaches to watch the sunset and say 'Thank You' for anther day.
7. Favorite thing to splurge on while traveling? My favorite splurge while traveling to new cities is always going to a spa!! Whether it's a Korean spa, Turkish hammam, or simply a masseuse or facialist that comes by recommendation, I love to nourish my skin, body and soul as a regular practice.
8. Most exotic place you've ever been? I lived in Cape Town, South Africa years ago, and it was the most exotic, yet familiar setting I have ever experienced. I lived right at the base of Table Mountain (one of the natural wonders of the world) and in a day I could experience the urban city life, lounge on Clifton Beach, drive 15 minutes out of the city to the townships, or go on safari in the national parks.
9. Least exotic place? I grew up in Alberta, Canada. Also known as "The Texas of The North". The most exotic thing that occurs there is The Calgary Stampede...a week-long event that features rodeos, ho-downs, line dancing and beer festivals. That's exotic to some people, right!?
10. Where will you go on your next adventure? This summer my boyfriend and I are traveling to Paris and Versailles to spend a few days, then down to Provence for a friend's wedding. In all my years of modeling I actually never made it to Paris, but my boyfriend lived there for years so I'm so looking forward to experiencing the city through his eyes!!
UnREAL season two premieres tonight, June 6 at 10pm.
Until then, enjoy this clip of Jeffrey giving a speech at a Human Rights Campaign (HRC) event last year: