Out Traveler Award Winner: Best International Destination
By OUTTraveler Editors
Best International Destination: SWEDEN
It's certainly not the weather, but there's something about Sweden that has LGBT travelers enthralled. Scandinavia's most-populous nation beat out Spain (which took second place), the U.K., Argentina, Vietnam, and New Zealand to be named favorite international destination. Sweden is known as one of the most LGBT-friendly nations in the world, with marriage rights and discrimination protections. A more recent example: the Stockholm Pride organization sticking it to antigay Russian president Vladimir Putin. Stockholm, the nation's capital and largest city, is a cosmopolitan, hipster paradise with almost all of the pleasures that larger European cities like London and Paris offer (and London and Paris don't have an ABBA museum or a gay-themed Christmas celebration). Stockholm's growing influence was just recognized by the organizers of the EuroGames, which recently announced the 2015 event will take place there. But Sweden's wonders aren't limited to SoFo, Old Town, or any of Stockholm's diverse neighborhoods: there's the legendary Ice Hotel near the Arctic Circle, where guests sleep on blocks of frozen water, and the Kolmarden zoo, the largest wildlife park in Scandanavia.
Check out all the other categories and nominees, where winners will be announced over the next two weeks, here.
- Gay Provincetown - City Guide, Hotels, Gay Beaches & Hot Spots
- Toronto Club that Played Queer as Folk's Babylon Is Closing
- Trans Actor Riley Carter Millington Joins Cast of British Soap 'EastEnders'
- Alaska: Gayer Than You'd Think (But Just as Cold)
- OutTraveler's 200 of the Greatest Gay Bars in the World
- Best Gay Travel - Lists of the Hottest & Best in Gay Travel