PHOTOS: America's First Gay 'Massive'
By Neal Broverman
Riding the cultural wave of EDM (electronic dance music), event producers successfully produced the first gay massive — once known simply as a giant rave.
You may be thinking, Hey, there are circuit parties all over the world! Certainly, but the people behind 1Life — which includes White Party founder Jeffrey Sanker — modeled it on hetero-dominant EDM events like the Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas. In other words, the emphasis was on the DJs, outdoor attractions like ferris wheels, zip-lines, and food trucks, and less muscles and more shirts.
"After years of inspiration, 10 months of careful preparation and coordinating, 1Life Festival exceeded our expectations," event founder Phil Tran said in a statement. "Over the many years as event producers, my wife Casey and I always envisioned an event where we can bring together all mankind regardless of race, sexuality, age or background."
The massive took place over 14 hours last weekend, with over 30 DJs on three separate stages at the NOS Event Center in San Bernardino. Heather Bright, aka Bright Lights, was the headliner.
Next year's 1Life is already confirmed, Tran says: "We are so excited to continue this amazing journey for the 1Life Festival 2015."
- PHOTOS: Men With Their Legs Spread on Public Transit
- Sex-Positive Radical Faerie House in S.F. Imperiled
- Royal Caribbean's New Mega Ship Includes Skydiving Ride, Robot Bartenders
- EXCLUSIVE | Three Gay Days: Rome Part One
- Gay Stockholm - City Guide, Travel Tips, Events & Hot Spots
- Vote for the Best Gayborhood in America