VIDEO: Philadelphia Restores '87 Mural from Keith Haring
By Neal Broverman
The legacy of beloved out artist Keith Haring won't be lost in Philadelphia — the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program is restoring a mural he created in the city in 1987.
The playful "We the Youth," located in South Philadelphia, will survive another 26 years, hopefully. With funding from the Mural Arts Program and the Keith Haring Foundation, recent damage to the mural's wall is currently being fixed. Officials say the mural "is the only Keith Haring collaborative public mural remaining intact and on its original site." It was created in collaboration with CityKids of New York and Brandywine Workshop.
Watch a video of Haring creating the mural below.
- PHOTOS: The High Line, 15 Years After Two Gay Men Saved It
- Gay Flight Attendant Talks Celebrities, Culture Shock, Upgrades
- DC's Newest Rail Line Whisking Passengers to Virginia
- PHOTOS: Help Copenhagen Celebrate 25 Years of Equal Marriage
- PHOTOS: Tom Daley & competitors at the 19th FINA Diving World Cup in China