Out Traveler Award Winner: Incomparable Gay Neighborhood
By OUTTraveler Editors
Incomparable Gay Neighborhood: BOYSTOWN (CHICAGO)
Runner-up: The Mission (San Francisco)
Are you surprised? Chicago's sizeable and friendly LGBT neighborhood, referred to as "Boystown," was voted best gay neighborhood in the world, beating areas in other cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Barcelona, and Madrid. Chicago's Boystown, centered around Halsted Street, was the nation's first officially-recognized gay village in the U.S. and is the home to a large Pride celebration, as well as Market Days, an unrivaled August street party. The neighborhood has everything you could want: bars, clubs, restaurants, architecture, walkability, its own El stop, and now marriage equality (Illinois legalized same-sex unions in 2013). It also seems more welcoming than some other gayborhoods that shall remain nameless. On the horizon: a remodeling of the famous Hydrate nightclub, an LGBT-inclusive comedy festival, and a gay-themed hotel.
Click here for the full list of Out Traveler Awards categories and nominees.
- PHOTOS: Men With Their Legs Spread on Public Transit
- The 30 Hottest Guys from New York Comic Con
- Travel Companies With Perfect Scores on HRC's Equality List
- Sex-Positive Radical Faerie House in S.F. Imperiled
- The Most Gay-friendly Places on the Planet
- The 13 Hottest Photos From Gay Days Anaheim at Disneyland