Paris Upsets London as Host of Next Gay Games
By Neal Broverman
The Gay Games are switching it up in 2018, handing the event to arguably the most-loved city in the world, Paris. The next Gay Games, held 2014, are hosted by Cleveland, a much more under-the-radar location.
London was gunning for the '18 Gay Games, which brings millions of dollars into the host city, and was disappointed when Paris was given the nod; the mayor of London and even Prime Minister David Cameron voiced support for the Games coming to London.
“Naturally we are disappointed, but it has been an honour to be part of this experience and we are overwhelmed by the support of you all!," read a statement from London's organizing team. The city of Limerick, Ireland was also in the running for the '18 Games.
Paris was named host city because they are far ahead in planning and already have a dedicated sports manager for the event, according to a Gay Games committee. Of course, there's also the fact that everyone loves visiting Paris.
- Which College Campuses in the United States are the Best for LGBT Students?
- WATCH: The Warwick Rowers, Full Length and Fully Revealed
- Summer 2004 | Shipping Out, Olivia Style on the Mexican Riviera
- Austria Votes Against Same-Sex Marriage
- A Definitive Gay Guide to Los Angeles
- Richard Blanco to Read Poem at Re-Opening of US Embassy in Havana