Ryan Skyy's latest dance single may be titled "DONE (feat. Niki Darling)," but this NYC-based DJ/producer/singer-songwriter is just getting started. Later this spring, Skyy will embark on a club tour of the East and West coasts that coincides with the release of all-new "DONE (feat. Niki Darling)" with remixes from the likes of Dave Aude, DJ Strobe, and Rico-Alexis. Until then, Ryan is vying to win a spot spinning at Matinee Las Vegas 2015. (You can help him win and listen to his entry set at matinee.ryanskyy.com. Simply “like” and “share” his photo once there to vote. Polling closes April 17, and the top two vote-getters win.)
While Skyy waits for the results, we were able to fire off 10 questions on subjects ranging from his favorite dance club to his SkyMall shopping habits:
1. Last place you vacationed? Cancun. It was my first time in Mexico. The water was soooo beautiful and I found a megaclub that blew my mind with the music and production.
2. Do you prefer to travel by land, sea, or skyy? Hahaha, definitely by skyy! I love to fly.
3. Have you ever flown Ryanair or bought anything from the now-defunct SkyMall catalog? I’ve never flown Ryanair, but I hear they are coming to NYC with some insanely low-priced packages to Europe to celebrate crossing the Atlantic, so I have a feeling I’ll be trying them out real soon. Skyy Mall I also haven’t tried. Recently, I had a very bad experience with an airline and I definitely found myself screaming: “I’m done! I’m so done! I’m DONE WITH YOU!”
4. To watch on a long flight: Entourage with Nora Dunn or Veep with Kevin Dunn? Veep. I don’t have a lot of time for TV but I do love HBO programming. It’s thoughtful, edgy, and refreshing. I love Girls!
5. All-time favorite gay bar/club for dance music? VIVA Saturdays in NYC at Stage48. The energy, music, and crowd are MASSIVE in every sense of the word.
6. All-time favorite bar/club for acoustic music? I’d normally say Joe’s Pub or The Bitter End, but this time I’m going to say United Palace Theater in Harlem. That’s where I saw Adele perform right after “Rolling in the Deep” came out, but right before she really blew up. It was a rare moment to see her in a smaller, intimate space, and I happened to fall into front-row seats without realizing it when I bought general admission through her website presale! Her voice was truly flawless live. Every inflection, every note, landed beautifully and she captivated the audience with just a chair and her mic stand.
7. Circuit party you’d most want to attend and hear your music played? MATINEE Las Vegas! I’m in the running this year for their All-Star DJ contest (currently in 3rdplace) and included a circuit remix of "DONE" in my set by Tom Siher. I would LIVE to hear my music played for that crowd!
8. Three songs on your cross-country road trip playlist? Tove Lo’s “Talking Body”, Kygo’s “Stole the Show”, Ellie Goulding’s “Love Me Like You Do”.
9. On vacation, how long could you be unplugged? Probably longer than I think, but I start going through it around day three.
10. Next adventure? We’re planning a European Tour for the fall. I’ve travelled to and performed in Italy twice but that’s it! There are so many countries I want to get to and see. I can’t wait to explore!
Check out the video for "DONE (feat. Niki Darling)" here: