DJ Drew G (above right) seems to really do well paired up. First, for those of us who've spent some time on the dance floor recently, he and Brian Cua are better known as the remixing duo, Dirty Pop, having worked on the official mixes for megastars like Madonna, Lady Gaga, Kesha and Mary J. Blige. Secondly, Drew G met his soul mate, Eric (above left), on Scruff, with whom he travels quite a bit. And, now, he's paired up with us to go in on a round of QUEST10NS:
1. Where did you go on your last trip? We literally just got back from the October Atlantis Halloween cruise. Somehow Eric had never been to Mexico. Which is kinda comical being we're 20 minutes from the border. Anyway, he had been wanting to go for quite some time now. We caught wind of the cruise leaving from San Diego (the port is an eight-minute walk from our building) and decided 'why not do it?' and got a small group of friends to join us.
2. What was your favorite memory from it? We got to know some of our friends a lot better. While we do love a good party, typically you'll catch Eric and I out on the sideline at circuit events chatting with friends, other DJs, and nightlife folk. But, on this trip especially, it was all about our friends. Granted, we met tons of amazing people, the highlight really was building on these friendships even more.
3. Favorite place to DJ? That's kind of a tie. Town, D.C. and, of course, Rich's here in San Diego, but both for very different reasons. Town is massive and I love when I get to play at massive venues, also D.C. is where the Dirty Pop brand and party (which I did far more often back then) really started to take off. And, Rich's because it's my hometown. I may be from NYC but I have truly become a San Diegan. I love it here, Eric loves it here and we look forward to planting roots and growing our family in this city. However when I play Rich's, I test out all my new tracks and remixes. So I love the initial first reaction I get from the crowd here when they hear a brand new track and since we're what I call a "little big city" we're friends with everyone and I'll get direct feedback, which is always great.
4. Favorite place to hear someone else DJ? The Yost Theater in Orange County, it's a historic venue and they bring the best DJ talent from around the globe. The sound system is great and we always have a blast. However we also really love attending Overdrive here in San Diego if I happen to be not spinning myself that is.
5. City that most loves its dance music? I don't know if there's a city really that doesn't love its dance music; every city I've been to from Dublin to Vancouver always has amazing venues, events and talent.
6. Favorite annual LGBT event? Another tie: we love going to Sydney Mardi Gras. However, we really love both NYC and San Diego pride. During NYC pride we get to celebrate our wedding anniversary and during San Diego pride we get to celebrate San Diego of course. Zoo party is always epic and is always a destination for us every year.
7. Hometown hangout? If we're talking clubs it's Rich's. But, most nights I'm off you'll honestly catch us curled up on the couch drinking wine (lots of it) or cooking and baking. We're really big on spending time in the kitchen honestly. And for our neighborhood spot you'll often catch us at Vin De Syrah, a really cool downtown venue just a few blocks from our home, during the week they have amazing deep house DJs and their wine list is impeccable.
8. Best place to get a post-club meal? I'm a sucker for Jack in the Box or Taco Bell, as is Eric. (Laughs)
9. Cities on the top of your bucket list? Hong Kong, Mykonos, Barcelona, and Berlin.
10. Where will you go on your next adventure? We've been pondering World Pride with friends. However, Eric has been really wanting to go to Mykonos so we may do a little couples getaway there. As per DJ touring I believe my next little adventure is Brazil. But who knows, something may pop up before that.
Check out DJ Drew G's exclusive OutTraveler playlist here.