Robert Verdi's talents are many. In addition to being a highly sought out fashion stylist and interior designer, Robert is the creative force behind the innovative line of handbags at Great Bag Co. Created from a single mold of resilient polymer, these colorful accessories are durably stylish ways to carry everything from laptops to sweaty gym clothes. Recently, the Great Bag Co. also released a special limited edition series of its signature Model M. bag in partnership with four artists: Mickalene Thomas, Dustin Yellin (his bag is shown below), Willis Thomas and Derrick Adams. Priced at $635, 100% of the proceeds from their sales will benefit AfricasOut!, an organization that acts as a voice for gender and sexual equality throughout the African continent.
Luckily, we had the chance to chat with Robert and asked him about his recent (and upcoming) travels:
1. Where did you go on your last trip? “Valle de Bravo, which is the Hamptons of Mexico City.”
2. What was your favorite memory from the trip? “I was attending a wedding and got to talking to Melanie Griffith about Working Girl.”
3. Favorite art-centric venue in the world? “I consider myself a curator, so I don’t need to see museum exhibition after museum exhibition -- I prefer visiting galleries and artist at their studios because it's a more authentic way to learn about their art - I just visited Antony Pearson at his studio and I wanted to buy everything, that's the downside."
4. Art destination on your bucket list? “Art Basel in Hong Kong.”
5. Best advice when packing for a trip?
“Leave half of it at home. But, don’t be afraid to bring your best things.”
6. Unusual things you always have in your travel bag? “An LED flashlight for finding stuff in the bottom of my bag. Extra cell phone covers so my phone can be dressed to match my outfit. Custom cases for my sunglasses.”
7. Most stylish hotel? “I still love the Costes in Paris. The Faena Hotel in Miami. But, it’s always best staying with friends.”
8. Place you visited most in need of a makeover? “The Waldorf in Dubai didn’t feel complete. Also, the Royalton could use a big refresh.”
9. Fall/winter fashion trend that frequent travelers should heed? “Adding layering pieces to your wardrobe - lightweight cashmere, light lambskin - pieces you can put on and take off as you move from indoors to outdoors.”
10. Where will you go on your next adventure? “Rome - Audrey had a Roman Holiday so why shouldn't I?"