The 7: Tempe Mission Palms, Arizona
The 7 Reasons I Love
Tempe Mission Palms
1. It’s the ideal address. I was in sunny Tempe last month and popped back to the elegant Tempe Mission Palms for another visit. It’s the perfect address for bar and restaurant-hopping on lively Mill Avenue or for catching a Broadway show at ASU’s Gammage Hall .
2. It’s incredibly easy to get to. Just ten minutes from PHX Sky Harbor airport, staying at the Mission Palms saves traffic stress and time. Hop on the half hourly hotel shuttle to and from PHX or, if you’ve packed light, try the slick, new light rail system that glides from the airport to two blocks away from the hotel.
3. There’s plenty of room. The 303 guestrooms are spacious, bright, and cheerfully decorated with a southwestern palette. Even with the ludicrous amount of luggage I brought, we still had plenty of room to move about. The sofa and armchair were inviting and right by the window with its views of “A” Mountain.
4. Free wifi!
5. I love to lounge. I loved drinking my morning coffee in the inner courtyard under the shade of its stately 100-foot palm trees. When there’s a chill in the air, gracious lobby areas have dozens of sofas, as well as fireplaces aplenty.
6. Liquid lounge. We started our day at the hotel’s Mission Grille , tucking into a tasty plate of French toast, and finished it at the charming restaurant bar with a couple of killer cucumber margaritas. If you’ve got time for a more leisurely brunch, make the most of the Grille’s omelet bar.
7. Raise the roof. The resort hotel’s rooftop pool has a scatter of enticing cabanas and views of downtown Phoenix. You can also opt to play the rooftop tennis court or shoot some hoops at the basketball hoop. While all the other guests were out carousing along Mill Avenue, we snuck back to the hotel and watched the stars and lights of incoming flights from the Jacuzzi.
Tempe Mission Palms , 60 E. 5th Avenue, Tempe, Arizona; 480-894-1400; www.missionpalms.com