All Rights reserved
People usually take holidays to disconnect, relax and bond with friends or family, but sometimes, the focus is not on ourselves, but rather, on making the world a better place. If you have a bit of free time coming up or you are taking a sabbatical from work or study, consider these five holidays that make a difference:
- Wildlife Research Expedition Cruises: Hurtriguten Cruises are offering adventurous travels the chance to undertake fascinating research while sailing along the chilly waters of the Antarctic. The ship is equipped with science labs and boasts an in-house team of scientists who will offer interesting lectures and offer you the chance to join them in their work so you can learn more about a plethora of fascinating animals. The Galapagos Islands are another ideal destination for those wishing to discover more about different animal species.
- Sports Coaching: Imagine becoming a soccer or cricket coach at a local school in a far-off country, where you can get to know the people, help children hone their sporting skills and pick up a new language.
- Farm work: If tilling the land sounds appealing, head for the Philippines, where there are many opportunities for volunteer farmhand work. You can pick up handy construction skills by learning to build walls, reconstructing buildings and performing general maintenance work.
- Marine Conservation Projects: Travel to Thailand and help preserve the integrity of the gorgeous reefs and vital waterways. Work can vary depending on your areas of expertise, though you may be asked to undertake research dives, clean up the beach or take care of sea mammals until they are well enough to be released into the wild.
- Social Impact Cruising: Carnival Cruising has a brand new program called Fathom, in which holidaymakers are invited to take part in a few days of in-country volunteering. Visit countries like Cuba and work at local foodbanks, animal or wildlife centers or non-profit agencies. Do your share for needy people and animals while taking in the beauty of a whole new country and meeting people with shared interests from all walks of life.