Scroll To Top
Gay Europe

‘Trump Slump’ Hits US Hard as International Tourists Avoid US and Choose Europe

donald trump ugly

Drumpf slump

Global jetsetters are bypassing the United States after the election of Donald Trump, according to a new study that shows a drop in visitors. While the number of travelers worldwide has increased by 7% overall, the US saw a 2% drop since 2016. Spain actually overtook the US as the second-most visited country in the world with 82 million visitors (growing 9%). The United States received roughly 73 million.  France continues to be the most visited country in the world (89 million) and growing 8% this year. Overall, all of Europe saw a boom, but particularly southern Europe.

So why have the United States’ number dropped? The strength of the US dollar and Donald Trump.

"The deterioration in demand from key markets such as the U.K. and Mexico can be attributable to the less desirable image of the U.S. under Trump following controversial decisions such as the travel ban," said tourism analysts at Euromonitor to CNN. "But also the strong dollar [acted] as a deterrent, coupled with the current less stable political situation." 


Advocate Channel - The Pride StoreOut / Advocate Magazine - Fellow Travelers & Jamie Lee Curtis

From our Sponsors

Most Popular

Latest Stories

Outtraveler Staff