The Hot 5: The Pod Hotel’s NYC
Bryan Raughton, The Pod Hotel’s concierge by day and artist-cum-DJ (Splash, Hiro Ballroom) and gay about town by night, gives his recs on what’s hot now in the Big Apple.
1. Best New Dinner Spot -- Kenmare. After taking some shots at La Esquina’s tequila bar, head to this SoHo hotspot for model-watching and classy Mediterranean cuisine. 98 Kenmare St; 212-274-9898
2. Most Asked About New Stores -- Lacoste Boutique (134 Prince St.; 212-226-5019). All of SoHo is stocked with new winter collections, and of course the classic rainbow-hue of preppy polos. Also in SoHo, Desigual (594 Broadway; 212-343-8206) for hot men’s clothes: colorful, vibrant and totally creative in use of fabrics.
3. Buzziest Opening -- Mario Batali's Eataly Rooftop Beer Garden with skyline views over the Flatiron District, the crown of the 50,000-square foot marketplace/food court temple to Italian food below. 200 Fifth Ave.; 646-398-5100
4. Best Glam Rock Bar -- Don Hill's. Nur Khan and Paul Sevigny have taken over the SqueezeBox! space. It's the same old dirty Don Hill’s, just now the cool rock kids are going again. Lots of after-parties, some heavy duty shots, dark bathrooms. Think hard drinking, major rock shows, and making out with a Jake Shears look-a-like. 511 Greenwich St.; 212-219-2850
5. Latest East Village Spot -- Bedlam. Grungy gay hipster fave Eastern Bloc spawns a new Victorian apothecary-themed boîte from one of its co-owners. Bi-curious and bumping weekly parties. 40 Ave. C; 212-228-1049
Check-in:The Pod Hotel. With rates from $89/night it’s both a spendthrift and stylish choice in Midtown Manhattan, offering a variety of room configurations -- including bunk beds -- in addition to free WiFi, iPod docking stations, mod space agey interiors, and a rooftop deck. 230 E. 51st St.; 212-335-0300; ThePodHotel.com
For more picks on NYC’s hotspots, check out our Out City Guide: New York.