The days are losing their sting. Summer is drifting away slowly. Say it ain't so! Especially because it can be hard to get out of the city, break away from the desk for a couple of nights and breathe some fresh air. We know you want to get out into the wilderness, get a little dirty, sit around a campfire and tell scary stories while roasting a marshmallow. Who doesn't right?
Camping is usually on the budget side of things, but when you are in New York City or Chicago then it becomes a whole other story: glamping, a.k.a. glamour camping. You can still have the outdoorsy feel, a campfire, and tell whatever stories you want but it is going to cost you. Hotels have started using their rooftops, penthouses and outdoor suites and presenting them in a way to appeal to the "wanna-be-good-and-go-into-the-wilderness-but-still-want-a-real-bed-and-toilet-and-i-don't-care-what-it-costs" type person.
New York City
AKA Hotel Central Park New York
Outdoor bedroom and five-star camping NYC
"Seasonal Package" includes:
- One-bedroom penthouse suite
- Fall asleep in a comfortable open-air bed with luxurious Frette bedding
- Enjoy fireside cocktails courtesy of AVod, AKA's signature vodka, or Veuve Cliquot Champagne
- Indulge in delectable snacks such as La Maison du Chocolat s'mores, gourmet cheese and cracker platter and chocolate covered strawberries
- Stargaze through a state-of-the-art telescope
- Read your favorite books on an anti-glare e-reader lit by a high tech flashlight
- Experience pure tranquility by relaxing with outdoor mood music and aromatherapy candles
- Available through Oct 31, 2011. Outdoor bedroom reservation: Two weeks in advance. Room starts at $3000/night.
Affinia Gardens New York
For guests staying in the Private Garden Terrace Suites (from $309/night).
"Al a carte Terrace Menu" available. Includes:
- S’mores-making kit for a late night snack (starting at $25 per kit)
- Tents and flashlights for families with children (starting at $35 per day)
- Sunscreen and towels for sunbathing
- Spa services through SPAffinia
- Breakfast or picnic lunch bags (starting at $19.95 per bagged meal)
- Romantic dinners Beer or wine tasting
- Yoga (Stay Fit Kit)
- Seasonal items to decorate during the holidays (starting at $50 per kit)
Sleep under the stars room on the rooftop.
"Inside Out Suite" Package includes:
- Private access to the 29th floor (over 1,800 square feet of space)
- A spacious suite indoors
- A king-size bed outside at C-View (the hotel’s outdoor rooftop lounge is all yours for the night)
- Private butler and private security
- Private, customized dining experience on the roof designed for you by Executive Chef Nicole Pederson from C-House
- Bottle of champagne
- Private outdoor movie screening
- Late night snacks
- Breakfast in bed (inside or out) from C-House
- Suites are $10 000/night for a maximum of five guests based on availability for Friday and Saturday nights only.