The 7: 70 Park Avenue, New York
The 7 Reasons I Love 70 Park Avenue, New
1. It’s the ideal address. There’s a new hotel decorating my favorites list: Kimpton’s gorgeous 70 Park Avenue. Despite being only a few steps from the hustle of Grand Central, once you step through the doors of this elegant address, you’d never know you were deep in the heart of Manhattan. Situated just off the obvious tourist radar, this Murray Hill gem is the perfect Midtown hideaway, whether you’re in town for work or play. My +1 and I opted for play last weekend; easily sashaying out to shop 5th Avenue, sauntering round the corner to drink coffee in the sun outside the library in Bryant Park, cab-ing and subway-ing to and from East and West Village hotspots.
2. The rooms are perfect. With all the thrills waiting just outside the hotel, you might expect to spend very little time in the hotel. This would be a mistake. With 42-inch plasma screen TVs, free Wifi, L’Occitane amenities in the bathroom, understatedly hip décor courtesy of celebrity designer Jeffrey Bilhuber, and great lighting in all 205 rooms, 70 Park Avenue is a fine place to spend the night… or the evening… or, well, really, any part of the day. We found it hard to tear ourselves away from our top floor suite, with its fabulous Empire State Building views and private roof terrace, 17 floors above the Manhattan streets. Make sure and ask for a high floor and a view – joining Kimpton’s InTouch program usually makes such privileges more likely.
3. The daily wine hour is a winning touch. Cheerful staff line up a tasty array of reds and whites nightly in the lobby. We trotted in, tired from a day of shopping, and sunk into the utterly comfortably sofas, sampled some Shiraz, and chatted with fellow guests and their canine companions.
4. It has an enticing tavern. Silverleaf Tavern is so enticing that we wanted to change plans to spend time there. The Silverleaf is a delightful throwback to classic old New York taverns and serves Panko Avocado Fries, Buffalo Lollipop Wings, and signature entrees like Fish and Chips and Steak Frites. Oh, yes, and killer martinis, too.
5. The perfect staff. They’re cheerful and helpful, while not pushy or in any way obtrusive.
6. It’s a Kimpton! Kimpton Hotels is the first hotel chain to get a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index four years running, as well as the first to establish all of its properties -- 41 nationwide -- as members of the International Gay and Lesbian Trade Association (IGLTA).
7. The whole package. Kimpton offers some killer packages in its New York City hotels to celebrate the LGBT community. May 1 through July 31, you can snap up a Propose on Pride package at 70 Park Avenue, which includes deluxe accommodations, champagne cocktails on arrival, breakfast in bed, rainbow flag and disposable camera, and a map on the parade route ($259+). Or at Kimpton’s Muse Hotel, there’s a Pride in the City package, which includes deluxe accommodations, a wine flight on arrival, LGBT map, and breakfast in bed. There’s the tempting option of an upgrade to a luxurious balcony suite and four margaritas for just $140 more. Book early for Pride week, kicking off in the Big Apple on June 20, 2009.
70 Park Avenue, New York; 877-707-2752; www.70parkave.com